Many people are not aware of the fact that freezer has to be cleaned frequently. In addition, cleaning and organising your freezer will give you that additional storage space you are probably in need of. On the other hand, a clean freezer is very important for the quality of the food stored in there. If you have an upright or separate freezer, it is recommended to clean and organise it at least every month, or before every big food shopping tour.
Cleaning the freezer may seem pointless and pretty time-consuming and boring for many of you, but it is actually not and following a few simple and easy tips will prove to you that taking care of your freezer is not that hard at all, so you can add it to your monthly cleaning routine. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Start with emptying out the freezer. Be sure to work your way quickly so nothing thaws in the process. In order to make things easier for you, group food in categories (veggies, proteins, nuts, etc.). This will keep it easy to return all the food back in the freezer later.
- You can start cleaning your freezer with defrosting it, if it needs so. While defrosting your freezer put all your food in coolers with ice to keep it in good condition. If you don’t need to defrost the freezer, then simply wipe it down with barely damp cloth and vacuum all the crumbs with a hose tool.
- If you find anything that isn’t in good condition and can’t be consumed – toss it away! Don’t bring back food that you are sure that it won’t be consumed, otherwise, it is only going to take space that you probably need.
- Take inventory and jot down the expiring dates of all the food that doesn’t last for too long. That way you can be sure that the perishable food will be consumed on time and you won’t toss it away. Plan your meals in one or two weeks including this food.
- Organise your freezer by putting everything away in groups that make sense to you. This way you are going to find anything you need faster and easier. Organise food in groups like, for example, meats and proteins, fish, baking, vegetables, fruits, meals, etc.
- If you want to go that extra mile and be even more organised – put labels. In fact, using the labels organisational system will once again make your life easier and allow you to save extra time. Add a label to a shelf, drawer, or bin, do labelling the way it is best working and comfortable for you and your family.
As you can see, cleaning and organising your freezer is not that hard and time-consuming at all. It takes less than 30 minutes if you are not planning to defrost it. 30 minutes every month doesn’t sound like too much work, does it? On the other hand, if you take care of your freezer, you are going to have that peace of mind and decrease the risk of forgetting about food and blowing your hard-earned money.
Well, avoiding cleaning and completely neglecting it is not something someone could afford. However, you can make house maintenance much easier following our tips!
Autumn cleaning is as important as the spring digging into the darkest, most dusty and neglected corners of your home!
Do you wonder how to clean up the build-up left on your iron’s plate because of the use of spray starch? Here is how - check our 4 amazing methods!
One single pencil eraser can do wonders in terms of cleaning and repair scratches. Check out more of its uses!